Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

28 Weeks Pregnant... WooHoo!!!





I cried this afternoon when Donna said "today starts our 3rd trimester." Tears of joy of course and maybe a little worry. We made it to the oh so important milestone of 28 weeks. If the boys were born today, they have a very good chance of survival. Although the longer they cook the better they will be, every day they stay in is significant. It has taken me most of the week, but I finally have my head wrapped around the possibility of the boys coming this early. I still want them to bake a bit longer, but I know they are healthy and if they have to come, they will be okay.




"Here are some multiple-pregnancy milestones: 
  • The first major milestone is 24 weeks: the threshold of viability. Babies born this early will likely spend at least three months in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), and a third of them will survive with no long-term problems.
  • The second milestone is 28 weeks, when viability skyrockets. Ninety percent of babies who make it to this stage of gestation survive. Long-term complications — including cerebral palsy, vision and breathing problems — are still a possibility, however.
  • The next milestone is 32 to 34 weeks. Babies born now generally have an excellent chance of survival, without any major long-term complications, though they might not have full lung maturity (which generally occurs between 33 and 37 weeks) and will need to spend time in the NICU.  Some babies born at this stage may require oxygen to help them breathe, while others may need to be fed through a nasogastric tube (which runs through the nose into the stomach). “Super-twins” (triplets or more) almost always spend time in a NICU, but if you can get past that 32-week mark, chances are excellent that the babies will be healthy." 


I do have some 28 week belly pics, but Donna took my camera home, so when she comes tomorrow, I will add the photos... let me tell you, they are sexy in my hospital gown, lol...


and here they are...







11 comments:

  1. YAY!! Also another boost may be that magnesium that you got the other day to help mature their lungs. Keep 'em cooking Mama! We had 27 week twins born last week at our hospital and they got shipped to All Children's Hospital and they are doing great, even though they are on life support- which is expected of course when they are born that early. You made it past that point, PLUS already have mag on board! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! Next goal...30 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know...Mag does not help lung maturity...the steroids do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got ya Jess, was the mag just for contractions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mag stops pre-term labor and also stops seizures in mom due to high blood pressure because of Pre-eclampsia during labor....I had it during labor and was on that nasty stuff for 2 days....yuck.

    Tell those boys to stay put for another 4 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I have tears in my eyes as I read this and as I am typing. I can not begin to tell you how happy I am for all 5 of you!

    Give Donna a kiss, can't wait to see the sexy pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY...talk about good news. YES!! Two milestones down and one to go. Just Keep'on bak'n babies...not time for you to come into the mean ol' nasty world yet.
    Glad everyone is doing good. We are all pray'n and keep'n you in the good thoughts category.
    Love to all
    Aunt Pat & Aunt Ro

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie was right...Magnesium Sulfate is a smooth muscle relaxant that is used to either stop contractions in pre-term labor, or prevent seizures in pre-eclampic mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous that gown must be a christian dior,
    LOV YA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!! Have a mini celebration!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...